Sunday, July 11, 2010

Life Underground






What's the best thing about waiting on your train to arrive?? Well, it gives me a chance to take pictures of "Subway Art" without getting on my husband's very LAST nerve!! These little whimsical "creatures" are hiding around various corners and platforms at the subway station that is closest to our house. Right from the beginning, I noticed one here or there. And they made me smile, even if I was hot and tired. Then I started seeing additional ones each time we were at the station, and they really started growing on me.

The great thing about the web is that I can "google" them and find out the following: An artist named Tom Otterness was commissioned by NYC (and paid $200,000) to create the sewer alligator and his friends. Many of the little men have "moneybags" for heads. "Life Underground 2001" has proved to be one of the most popular art installations in the entire subway system, and it took 10 years to complete. Tom must have enjoyed the task because he kept going and created more critters than he was originally asked to do. Tom states that the art represents the "impossibility of understanding life in NY". I can second that emotion, while I have thoroughly enjoyed observing the lifestyle here, I can't begin to understand what it would really be like to live here.