Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Natural History Museum




After seeing Regis and Kelly, we went to lunch at Zabar's (quintessential NY deli and grocery). Once we re-fueled, we were ready to take on the museum. The museum building itself is bigger than you can imagine. It takes up a whole block and is 5 stories tall. We had to refer to the building map more than once!! It primarily focuses on people and animals of the world. There is more there than you want to hear about.....so I will tell say that as we explored several areas, certain people came to mind, and I'll mention those. In the dinosaur area I was surprised at how many bones they had excavated, and how complete the skeletons were. My nephew John LOVES the dino's and I couldn't help but wish he were there to enjoy it with us (and explain everything!) Then I thought of our adventurous friend, Cameron Roberts as we walked thru the various displays about people of the world. She collects hand-crafted masks (collected while living abroad) and I noticed that in several areas - Africa, American Indians, Near East , Mexico -- masks were an integral part of the displays. Lastly, I thought of all our Demery Hill (Seattle) friends as we toured the section on NW Indian Tribes. While we had seen many totem poles out west, I don't think I had ever seen this large of a collection in one place. Wednesday was a great day with great memories.