Monday, June 28, 2010

Edgy East Village





We had to stop for a pick me up at the Yaffa Cafe. I was too embarrassed to take a photo inside. Let your imagination run with this:


On the Walls - Elvis was competing with Jim Morrison on top of black and white flocked wall paper.
On the ceiling - Tiki lights, chinese lanterns and classic diner signs
Around the bar - big photos of grass
Around the window - little alters with all kinds of kitsch on top of each other
Quite the colorful spot! Like Asheville on STEROIDS!

One thing that was nice, when we got up to leave the girl sitting in the booth behind us stopped us and said "I was hoping you'd never leave. I just love hearing you talk - I was listening to every word". So guess we aren't the only voyeurs in the neighborhood.

Another day we stopped in Criff Dog. They have a wood/glass full size phone booth in there that is the secret entrance to a supposedly swank martini bar. I read somewhere that you have to make reservations just to enter the bar.